p

Monday, August 30, 2004

Honey, I'm home!

Greetings from Northwestern. I'm currently camped out in the hallway outside my dorm room, on my pink lounger, with a bottle of Smirnoff and a bag of Terra chips. College life suits me just fine ;). I'm actually supposed to be working on my "1AC aff" for debate. BTW, translated out of debate lingo that means, the first affirmative constructive speech. I'm not exactly fluent in debat-ese yet, but I'm getting there.

Debate camp is hard. Like incredibly so. These people are ridiculously well accomplished and insanely intimidating. We have a bunch of grad students who are helping us develop our cases until law school starts and among the eight of them, 4 are Harvard Law bound, 2 are Yale Law bound, one is going to UChicago, and the last one didn't do so well.... he's only going to Columbia. That's the crop of seniors that just graduated. And each and every one of them got into law school predominantly based upon their debate experience.

Today, I went to my first debate society practice and sitting in the room listening to the upperclassmen and grad students stretch ideas, run theories and point/counterpoint cases felt like sitting in a room with some of the country's foremost legal minds. It was so exciting. I honestly cannot think of any better prep for a career in law than debate and argumentation. Funnily enough, even my mock trial work in high school didn't parallel a legal career the way college debate does.

Anyways, onto the fun stuff. Yesterday, as my first night as a college student, I made the requisite run to the Jewel for illegal booze and then went back to a frat party (or, was it a bunch of debate nerds just hanging out at a frat... ?) lol and play poker, got drunk and got to know my teammates until the wee hours of the morning. Then I woke up today with a slight hangover, a massive headache and about ten minutes to get my ass all the way down to south campus (about a mile).

Now, I really should get back to work. But quickly, let me articulate how amazing it is to be back @ Northwestern. I love it here. Whether it's the surroundings or just the fact that I have so many poignant memories associated with the place -- I don't know, but it makes me happy.

And also, I finally got a new phone but the only numbers I have are those of the people who have left me voicemails in the past two days. You know that I don't actually know anyone's number....soo leave me a message with your digits. (PS: Lucy! This means you!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home