p

Sunday, August 08, 2004

four days!

so i have been working full time for almost eight months now with no really significant breaks. (one week off for prom, one week off for friends out of town, one week off for vacation). and today marks the beginning of the end -- my last work week! (and it's only four days -- i'm done after thursday!!!). i am so incredibly glad. a couple of things i've realized after joining the office world though, firstly work is nice because unlike school, it doesn't come home with you. there are no extracurricular activities or homework assignments or group projects intruding upon your time. your evenings are your own, it's really quite nice. secondly, i am going to be working full time (or at least part time) for the rest of my life. . .i liked my jobs this year (senate intern, junior consultant) and they were still monotonous, and i still watched the clock like a second grader anticipating recess. i really hope that some sort of chemical reaction happens between now and seven years from now, when i've completely grad school and am ready to enter the work force for good. i can't imagine being a clock watcher all of my adult life (no matter how handsomely i am compensated for my efforts!!)

now, as to my weekend. just in case you were interested ;). friday i went and saw little black book @ cinemark and then went out with dan for coffee afterwards. little black book was good and bad, ironically enough, for the same reason: the lack of a happy ending. that's a bad thing because it's a chick flick, that's sort of the point! and it's a good thing because happy endings usually make me all sappy and hyperanalytical (even more so than my normal state) of my current relationship inevitably ending in me being disgruntled. saturday, there was, for some reason completely unknown to me -- a mongo party at my house which lasted until early sunday morning. there were several really grotty guys there too, who decided that their expensive cars (bought and paid for by the bank of daddy nonetheless) meant that i would swoon at their feet (riighttt) and that since i didn't, they were entitled to cop a feel. gross. i got sick of being groped and retreated to my room for the evening. thoroughly enjoyable, let me tell you. but the coup de grace of the weekend was, arguably, today! i went book storing like alll day.
it was phenomenal. it's become a weekly tradition: all week i read fiction excerpts from the new yorker, the new york times, the la book review, publishers etc etc etc and i compile a list of good literature i want to read. then i narrow my choices down to two or three books, clear a day in my schedule and just go sit at the book store and read. (today was shopgirl and the heart is a lonely hunter). i take a pen and my literature journal (i've filled like five this summer already!); noting quotes i particularly like, ideas, theories -- things that move me. but basically, i just read and read and read. i love losing myself like that once a week. if anyone has any good book rec's, please leave them! i'm into noveau literature these days (anything with a love story wins bonus points). plus, as an aside, apparently one of the unwritten requirements for barnes and nobles employees is that they are hot, male, college students. (seriously...go look!)

Y, serena

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home